- Computer Clubs
- AVG - Free Anti-Virus
- Avast! - Free Anti-Virus
- AntiVir Personal - Free Anti-Virus
- Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus & Malware protection
- SUPERAntiSpyware - Anti-Spyware (8.51MB)
- Malwarebytes - Anti-Malware (5.87MB)
- Snopes - Rumor Has It - Urban Myths: (Computer Scams)
- SCAMwatch - Owned and Maintained by the ACCC
- System Tuning
- Advanced SystemCare (Freeware) - Enhanced Troubleshooting & Fixing All the Problems Slowing down Your PC Enjoy Faster & Safer PC with More Powerful PC Speed Up & Protected Functions.
- Belarc Adviser - Builds a detailed profile of your installed software & hardware, missing MS hotfixes, anti-virus status & much more.
- CCleaner - Is a system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. Removes unused system files. Cleans traces of your Internet history. Also contains a registry cleaner.
- Ghostery - Tracks & Blocks "Web Bugs" Internet Trackers - (aka: Tracking Bug, Web Beacon, Tracking Pixel) invisible to the user, that collect data on the user's browsing habits.
- KeePass - A free open source password manager. Put all your passwords in one encrypted database, which is locked with one master key. (1.46MB)
- KeyScrambler Personal - An indispensable tool against online identity theft. That protects all your inputs, Including your login credentials, credit card numbers, search terms, Java, Flash, PDF Forms, Web email etc. (1.14MB)
- PC Wizard - A System Information Program. A powerful utility designed especially for detection and performance of hardware. (5.17MB)
- DBAN - (Darik's Boot and Nuke) will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk. (Useful when disposing of old computer)
- Computer Help
- Free Software
- FileHippo.com - Download Free Software
- Softpedia - Freeware, Shareware, Demos, Trials
- Major Geeks - Download Freeware and Shareware
- Tucows - Free Software and Shareware Downloads
- FreeWareFiles - Free Software Downloads
- NetMeter - Monitors your internet traffic and displays real-time graphical and numerical download and upload data transfers. Also logs network traffic and provides daily, weekly & monthly summary reports. (510KB)
- Software Update Checker - FileHippo.com (246KB)
- Office Tools
- AOMEI Backupper Standard 4.0.4 (Freeware)
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista Backup system and create a system image to keep Windows and applications safe.
Backup entire hard disk (HDD), SSD or specified partitions to create an image file.
Backup or sync your most important files and folders on a regular basis.
Set and forget with automatic backup, incremental/differential backups to save time and storage.
Clone a smaller HDD to a larger HDD for disk upgrade, or clone HDD to SSD for better performance.
Added real-time file sync: monitor files for changes and synchronize new added, modified or deleted files from source to target path as soon as the change has occurred.
- MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition - All-in-one Free Partition Magic. MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition is a rich-featured partition magic, which is designed to optimize disk usage and to protect your data. It comes with so many powerful features with which you can completely control your hard disk and partition. With its user-friendly interface and straightforward guidance, you are able to resize partition, copy disk, scan lost partitions, and migrate OS to SSD easily and safely. Due to its outstanding performance, MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition has earned good reputation among global users.
- doPDF - Free PDF Converter - PDF stands for Portable Document Format and it was created by Adobe to ease document exchange. doPDF is a free PDF printer that does what the name suggests, creates PDF files. Once installed it will allow you to convert any type of printable documents to PDF files. doPDF installs itself as a virtual PDF printer driver so after a successful installation will appear in your Printers and Faxes list and also in the list of All Programs. Using doPDF you can convert to PDF in two ways:
- Unchecky - Unchecky is a small program that runs in the background which automatically unchecks the presence of Toolbars, Adware, PUPs, Junkware, and third party offers during software installations.
- LibreOffice (Free Office Suite) - LibreOffice is a powerful office suite - its clean interface and feature-rich tools help you unleash your creativity and enhance your productivity. LibreOffice includes several applications that make it the most powerful Free and Open Source office suite on the market: Writer (word processing), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (vector graphics and flowcharts), Base (databases), and Math (formula editing). (238MB)
- Foxit Reader - PDF Document Reader (13.9MB)
- Everything - Locates files and folders by filename instantly for Windows. Unlike Windows search "Everything" initially displays every file and folder on your computer (hence the name "Everything").
- Revo Uninstaller - (32bit) Innovative uninstall utility with many additional cleaning tools included. (2.3MB)
- Geek Uninstaller - (32 & 64bit) When uninstalling software, Geek Uninstaller will automatically check to see if
any registry keys, files or folders where left behind and offer to remove them. Another features include an option to Force-Remove stubborn programs.
Can also be used directly from a USB Flash Drive.
- Recuva - Recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin or digital camera card
- IZArc - Is the best way to extract zip, rar and many other archives.
- ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner - ImgBurn is a lightweight CD/DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray burning application designed to be easy to use yet have advanced options when needed.
- DVD Shrink - A free software solution for shrinking original DVDs onto recordable media.
- Eraser - Is a secure data removal tool for Windows. It completely removes sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it.
- AOMEI Backupper Standard 4.0.4 (Freeware)
- Video & Audio
- Photos and Images
- Search Engines
- The Ultimate Student's Guide to Search Engines. - By Alex Miller & Brian Graham
- DuckDuckGo - What you search for is your own business and we'd like to keep it that way. That's why we don't collect any personal information and therefore, have none to share.
- Bing - Microsoft
- Sensis - From the 'WhereIS' website
- ixquick - Claims to be the worlds most private Search Engine
- Web Wombat - The original Australian Search Engine
- Soovle is a customizable engine that unites the suggestion services from all the major providers in one place: Google, Bing,
Yahoo, Answers.com, etc.
Help and instructions are found in the "secrets" link in the upper right-hand corner.
- INTERNATIONAL DIRECTORY OF SEARCH ENGINES
- Local Utilities
- Bribie Island Chamber of Commerce
- Bribie Library - Check Catalogue, Renew & Reserve books online.
- Brisbane Weather Radar
- Moreton Bay and Islands - Information
- Lions Clubs - Queensland
- Rotary Clubs in Australia
- Probus Association of Queensland Inc. - PAQ
- University Of The Third Age - U3A Brisbane Inc
- RACQ Trip Planner
- Go Via - Bridge & Toll Road Passes. Single journey and Return Passes can be purchased from the Bribie Island BP & Caltex garages.
- General Sites
- Trove - Is an online search engine developed by the National Library of Australia. Including resources from more than 1000 libraries.
- Tinyurl's - Shortens Long Web Addresses to about 25 characters.
- Google Maps - Zoom in and see where you live
- Google Earth - Download program (12.5MB)
- How Stuff Works
- Whirlpool - Gives the "Pros & Cons" of Broadband ISP's.
- Givaway of the Day - Free licensed software given away daily.
- Skype - Free internet calls and cheap calls to phones online.
- Senior Websites
- Bribie Island Seniors' Computing Club - BISCC
- Bribie Island Retirement Living (Churches of Christ) - Bribie Island Retirement Villages offer a wide range of lifestyle options, all with personally tailored care and support packages, which provide you with real lifestyle choices if or when you need them.
- It's Your Life - Retirement Village Info
- Older Australians - (Aust Gov)
- Seniors - (Queensland Aust. Gov)
- Centrelink - News for Seniors Magazine
- MYagecare (Aust Gov) - Elder abuse concerns. No older person should be subjected to any form of abuse, often referred to as 'elder abuse'. Elder abuse can be physical, psychological or emotional, sexual or financial. It can also be the result of intentional or unintentional neglect.
- Nursing Home Abuse Center (USA) - Protecting Our Seniors. Upwards of 10 million seniors experience elder abuse each year, many in safe places such as nursing homes.
- Seniors On Line - Has some Genealogy sites
- Brisbane's Living Heritage - connecting People, Places and History.
- Seniors Enquiry Line - Linking Seniors with Community Info
- Born in the Forties
Born in the Fifties:
It's worth spending some time looking through these websites pages as they have a collection of interesting comments.
- Bribie Island Family History Interest Group - BIFHIG Family History Database Over 1000 names being researched by members.
- BIFHIG - Convict web Page - Convicts being researched by members
- Personal Ancestral File - PAF is a free genealogy and family history program (Recommended by BIFHIG)
- ParLoc - Parish Locator UK (665KB)
- Rootsweb - Finding our roots together
- GENUKI - UK & Ireland Genealogy
- FreeBMD - England and Wales (232,041,948 total records)
- The Ryerson Index - Contemporary death notices and obituaries in Australian newspapers
- Cyndi's List - 270,000+ Family History Links
- Mocavo - Genealogy Search - The world's largest free genealogy search engine.
- Australian Genealogy Links - Over 1600 genealogy links for Australia, including ships passenger lists, censuses, cemetery transcriptions, convicts, military records etc.
- Mac Stuff
- Bridge - "Mr Bridge" News & Views - Free Weekly Newsletter.
- Crossword USA - Play online or download. (After a 30sec very annoying Ad)
- The Daily Jigsaw Puzzle - A new jigsaw puzzle every day! Start your morning with our free unique puzzles.
Every day we will post a new puzzle with a different theme - Nature, Places, Animals, Scenery and more!
- Jigsaw Puzzles - More than 5700 puzzles, Can select number of pieces - Change cut - Download puzzles.
- Sudoku puzzles - A Sudoku puzzle is a numeric crossword puzzle where the goal is to fill up a 9x9 grid with digits so that each
column, each row and each of the 3×3 sub-grids contains all the digits from 1 to 9. It doesn't matter if you're an absolute beginner or a Sudoku master!
Learn Sudoku online with our free Sudoku tutorials,
- Basic Online Computer Tutorials - Computers are important tools that have become as standard as cars or phones. For that reason, knowing how to use computers and their peripherals is important for people of all ages and demographics. The elderly, for example, are increasingly aware of the need for, and benefits of, computers and the ability to go online. Children, on the other hand, typically grow up with computers and learn how to use them first at home and then at school. For people who are learning about computers, many online tutorials and exercises are available.
- Spreadsheeto - Excel Tutorials. Each topic is thoroughly explained, in an easy-to-understand manner. All contents are free and up to date. So if you're not an "Excel-nerd" you'll learn to do some pretty amazing things (e.g. Create a drop-down menu in your spreadsheet).
- Excel Easy - We offer a tutorial (Introduction, Basics, Functions, Data Analysis and VBA) on how to use Excel. You can find related examples and features (300 Examples) on the right side of each page. We keep it easy!
- GCF Global Learning - The freedom to learn what you want, when you want, absolutely free! Check out our Everyday Life, Basic Math, and Computer Training today!
- How to use Excel - The top formulas and functions you need to know.
- A Guide to Computers for Seniors - For seniors who want to increase their computer knowledge.
- Mouse Trainer - Training program for novices (930kB)
- Learning to Type More Efficiently (Staffing Solutions) -
A list of resources to help improve your typing skills.
- Learn to Type on the Web - A list of resources that will provide Typing Lessons and Tests, as well as Typing Education Information.
- Free Computer Tutorials - For Beginners and Seniors
- Free computer Tutorials - Home and Learn computer courses and tutorials
- Computer tutorials - Based on pictures, not words
- How-To Geek - Newsletter has tips, tricks, comics, geek trivia, and it keeps you updated with all the latest articles. If you want to know about everything geeky on a daily basis, this is the newsletter for you.
- Ask Leo - Tech Questions? Get Answers! (Weekly)
- Daves Computer Tips - News, Tips, Help, & How-to's (Weekly)
- MakUseOf - Websites, Software and Internet Tips (Daily)